Thanks to one of my readers for asking the question of what order to apply skin care products, and giving me the idea for this post! 😉
So you’re using a treatment serum, night cream, sunscreen, toner, primer, moisturizer, eye cream…whoa… that is a lot of products! You are on top of your skin care game, but how do you know what products to apply first to get the most out of your skin care routine? It gets confusing when you use so many different products. Even skin care routines with one or two products can be baffling.
Now keep in mind I’m no medical professional, but in today’s post I’m going to tell you in what order to apply your skin care products!
Morning Routine –
2. Toner : Not everyone uses a toner. Personally, I like a spray on toner because I find it to be refreshing. The Murad Essential-C Toner is next on my list to try.
3. Treatment Product : Treatment products are skin care products with medicinal like properties (anti-aging, acne treatment, antioxidant serums, etc). In the morning your treatment product would most likely be an eye cream or an antioxidant serum like the Ole Henriksen Truth Serum Vitamin C Collagen Booster. You want to apply these products directly after cleansing (and possibly toning) so they will absorb into your skin, and not be blocked by a moisturizer or sunscreen.
4. Moisturizer : Moisturizer should be applied after any treatment products (or after cleansing/toning if you don’t use a treatment product). One of my favorites is the Origins Ginzing Energy-Boosting Moisturizer.
5. Sunscreen : Sunscreen comes after moisturizer, and it’s also where you can combine steps and use a moisturizer with sunscreen like Josie Maran Argan Daily Moisturizer SPF 47 (included in Sephora’s 2015 Sun Safety Kit that is on its way to me now).
6. Primer : After your sunscreen comes your primer (if you use a primer). My favorite is Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer, which I recently reviewed here.
7. Foundation + Makeup : Finally, 6 steps later you can apply your makeup! This 7 step routine may not be for you, so pick and choose which products you prefer or what works best for you. It’s all about personal preference! I like to allow a few minutes in between each step to allow the products to sink into my skin, so I don’t feel like I’m layering product on top of product on top of product.
Night Routine –
1. Remove Makeup : Obviously. I’ve been really wanting to try the Boscia Makeup-Breakup Cool Cleansing Oil, but right now I just use the Target brand makeup remover wipes.
2. Cleanser : Another obvious step.
3. Toner : If you use one.
4. Treatment Products : I use a prescription retinol product at night. I usually apply it every other day or 3 days on, one day off because its very drying.
5. Night Cream : Basically just an intensive moisturizer that would be too heavy for using underneath makeup.